What do Homesharers do?
Every match is different but most include some sort of assistance to the Householder in exchange for tenancy benefits (e.g. affordable rent). Some examples of assistance could include:
- Cooking together
- Support with housework
- Garden assistance
- Getting to know the local community
- A negotiated number of nights you can be home
The support and living arrangements will be negotiated between the Householder and the Homesharer with mediation support from CLA and will be made explicit in a signed Homeshare Agreement.
The key principle of Homeshare Brisbane North is that a relationship with others is essential for sustaining housing and quality of life – not just a roof overhead.
LEVEL OF SUPPORT & COMMITMENT
Homesharers pursue their own job or studies, and any additional support will depend on the opportunities available and individual circumstances (please see examples below).
Homesharers will need to:
- Make a commitment to the Homeshare arrangement for at least 6 months
- Be interested in contributing to the wellbeing of the Householder
Rent will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Below are some examples of how this may apply, although each household will be different.
Rent will initially be calculated as 25% of your income, but will be no more than the market rent for the property. A reduction may then be negotiated based on the support provided.
If you would like to enquire about a rent assistance payment from Centrelink, please contact the Department of Human Services. We have not taken this into consideration in our examples.
- You are a university student who is over 18, living away from home and not currently working. You are receiving Youth Allowance or Austudy of $407.50 per fortnight from Centrelink. Your rent would be $101.85 per fortnight (25% of your income). It is negotiated that you will be home for at least two nights in the week to provide support with grocery shopping and cooking. Your rent could be reduced to $70 per fortnight.
- You are a couple who are looking for work and you are receiving the Newstart Allowance of $448.70 each per fortnight from Centrelink. Your combined income is $897.40. Your rent would be 25% of your combined income which is $224.35 per fortnight. It is negotiated that between you, you can provide one afternoon a week for support with homework and two nights per week of going to the gym together. Your combined rent could be reduced to $174.35 per fortnight.
- You are a full-time worker earning $900 per week. In a property with a market rent of $300 per week, your rent would be $150 per week. It is negotiated that you will provide support with planning meals, paying bills, and will attend a community activity together. Your rent could be reduced to $100 per week.
What if I have my own property or a spare room to rent?
You can still be involved! If a young person moves in and pays rent, remuneration would be negotiated depending on the support you could offer them. Please enquire if you are interested in this option.
Advantages for the Homesharer:
- Financial benefit of cheaper rent allowing more time for recreation and/or study
- Invaluable experience
- Opportunity to contribute to the life of another person
Values and principles of Homeshare Brisbane North:
- Open communication
- Respect and dignity
- Equal value of all people
- Healthy relationships and understanding
- Reciprocity and mutual benefit
- Freedom from exploitation